Saturday, October 21, 2006

1st Night in N.Y: Pizza Epiphamy and a GOOD Vegan Chocolate-Coconut Cake

Arriving an hour earlier than expected (thanx to favorable winds), the change was dramatic. Everuthing felt different, the energy, ambiance whatever you want to call it. I knew I was no longer in L.A. It’s a weird feeling, unexplainable. I’m still trying to get over it. That still didn’t stop from enjoying Lombardies.


I remember a time when I had not yet discovered my passion for food, my brother had taken me to Lombardies pizza and being mesmerized by it. I wondered… if it did that to me before, what was it going to do to me now? Then came the moment of truth., The place sure had changed since the last time I’d been there. I remember waiting for a table in a small little checkered-tabled dining area. Now it was thrice as big and even had a place underground. It seemed like they realized that they were the first pizzeria in the U.S., and and got a little bit too cocky.


I’ll admit, I was beginning to worry that this was not going to be the same Lombardies that I once had. But I was quickly relieved. We ordered a small, 6 slices, with Pepperoni and Beefsteak Tomatoes and of course the famous shreds of basil and Pecorino Cheese that made it famous. Watching everyone else around us devour their thin as paper pies consoled my worries., And then it came, the first pizza, with all it’s glory. It almost seemed to good to be true. I took a while to admire it with all the colors of the Italian Flag, the charred blisters of thin light bread, the popped up Pepperoni, the fresh Mozzarela and Basil. This truly was a masterpiece.


And then came the first bite, the thin yeasty bread, the chewy mozzarella and the peppery basil all dancing in my mouth. This was truly a slice of heaven. The crust was light, filled with air bubbles caused by the heat of the oven. Bites turned into slices, slices turned into half the pizza and faster than I knew it, I was about to finish my half and then I stopped, to appreciate it one last time. I didn’t want it to end, but like we all know, All good things must come to an end.
And then…………………………………………………there.
- Everything was finished and that was that.


Most people would stop there, but not us. Not me and my sweet-toothed brother. You see, we are some of the few people left who haven’t sacrificed the joy of eating because of the latest fad diet, damned we were going to be if we were in what is considered to be one of the biggest food Meccas in the world and just “fuggetabout” one of the most important parts of a meal, dessert. After roaming the streets on a Wedneday night and catching a shot in what used to be CBGB’s, we found ourselves in a dilemma. That famous cupcake place had just closed. You would think that in a city that is known for “the city that never sleeps”, you could get a cupcake at 10:30PM! Disappointed, we started walking. Eventually we walked in to the first CafĂ©, for this little tea bar named Teany.



Little did I know that this little place was a also a N.Y Foodie exclusive. Vegan/Vegetarian, or “conscious food” is what I like to call it. My Favorite!!! And apparently owned by Moby. With a selection of 96 different teas and they even had a Vegan “Coconut Macaroon” cake! How lucky was I!!! Seriously!!! This kind of stuff never happens to me. The cake was unlike any vegan dessert I’ve had in L.A. This actually tasted like a dessert, not some sweetened condensed chunk of soy. This was truly decadent, even if it was vegan. A huge double decker slice of chocolate cake slathered with chocolate icing and coconut. Rich, where other vegan confections were just well…vegan, amazingly moist where others were painfully dry. And what better to compliment this than a buttery Caramel Loose Leaf Black Tea? Caramel and
Coconut. Two of my most favorite things in the world, enjoyed without feeling too guilty


All this? in just a matter of hours?


I don’t know l..A….N.Y made a pretty good first impression.

Lombardi Pizza
32 Spring St
New York, NY 10012-4173 View Map
(212) 941-7994

teany cafe
90 Rivington Street
New York, NY 10002

No comments: