Wednesday, January 03, 2007

It's Ahh-ssshhhheeeyy not Axe

I wanted to try Joe's but their Prixe-Fix Menu for the day didn't agree with my stomach. So i decided to try Axe just a couple of paces next to it. With a name like that, i was already expecting something. The place was pretty happening for a Wednesday lunch, we had to wait like 15 minutes.

The menu was pretty weird, it offered this "standard rice bowl" that had the same things as a vietnamese rice bowl and a couple of salads along with make-it-yourself salad option. The featured salads didn't sound too appealing, so i just ordered the DIY salad and chose Hummus, Lentils and Roasted Beats as my ingredients.

My Salad was O.K, the Hummus was nothing special. The Lentils were just cooked with no special flavor. The Beets were pretty good though. When i was done, the messy tint of the Roasted Beets made my plate look like somethng the weird girl next to us could of drawn. My dad's Spicy Chicken Rice Soup was alright if you were craving chicken. And my brothers Chicken Apple Salad was o.k also.

I guess i went in with the wrong expectations. It seems like they are just concerned with delivering the best, possible beautiful, organic produce available, without thinking too much about how they deliver it. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing bad. It does give you the oppurtunity to taste the real flavor of the produce. Axe Restaurant is a good restaurant once you know what their goal is, but don't expect anything amazing.

Axe
1009 Abbot Kinney
Venice, Ca
90291

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you know you were mentioned in the LA times food section yesterday? an article about food bloggers... congrats