Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Food Seriously: My Night at Redcat's Great American Food Writing About The Food We Eat

Molly O' Neil, Evan Kleiman, Shirley Geok-Lin Lim, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger and me: Food Writers

Food Writing has been thought to be a more contemporary form of literature with the sudden disclosure that it's been getting lately. But as yesterday's panel discussed, it is nothing new. In fact some detailed entries depicting the diversity of sausages and sandwiches go back to 1912.

It was a night of deep, powerful food writing indeed with all of these passionate writers sharing their take on current issues such as food socialogy and preferences of peanut butter. More than half of which seemed to have a profound infatuation with the complexity of sausages and franks for some reason.

With shirts bearing "make cupcakes, not war" and everyone around me appraising the complimentary Gazpacho and Tuna Burgers, i actually felt comfortable. I was even able to talk to most of the panelist's personally and for once in my life, i did not feel weird.

Writing about food is not anything new, but it has notably evolved.

2 comments:

Douglas Cress said...

did they discuss the impact technology is having on food writing?

Pat Saperstein said...

Hey, Glutster...I think I even saw you there! Great minds think alike...