Monday, October 18, 2010

A New Beer On The (Biergarten) Block: Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.

Man was I psyched when Neil called me up and told me about this! I have been waiting for fall to come again since the day after Turkey Day last year. I love spring greens and light flavors just like as any other picky, nutrition savvy Angeleno but there is something to say about cold weather and being toasty while eating spices by shaker-full. The aroma of cinnamon, ginger, clove, cardamom, nutmeg, clove, mace all never fail to titillate me and remind me that I have made it through yet…another year of beautiful life.

Ok, gay romanticizing done, now time for the beer breakdown.


pumpkin ale
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale: Tis’ The Season!


At 5.5 ABV, this beer is not what you would expect for a Fall Ale. Opaque orange and translucent in color, the foamy head was thin and disappeared fast. Its nose was also not as spicy as I thought it would be, smelling faintly of maybe cinnamon. A certain pastry chef I took as a guest swore it smelled like baking an apple pie, more specifically the step where you mix the cut apples and cinnamon sugar together.

At first sip, the mouthfeel was a darn tootin’ light one, reminiscent of a buttery amber ale or something but a tad heavier. The cider-like flavor brought back memories of downing one a many Martinelli bottles and thinking it was cool for looking like actual alcohol. There was only the subtlest flavor of spice, I would of liked more actually. But the bright side tradeoff is that its lightness in body allows you to drink more of it than a typical, heavier Fall Ale. Overall, would I pay for this and ask this by name? Well, yeah…but after I had a taste of other Pumpkin Ales first!

Brindis!

No comments: